The cameras you need for hiking will be different from the ones you use for other things. Hiking is a great way to explore new areas and take some fantastic pictures. Still, you’ll need the right camera equipment to capture those moments. Think about what you need for this type of photography and mention those features and the price range, brand name, and other such considerations.
Hiking cameras should ideally be durable, lightweight, and weatherproof. It’s also essential to have a camera with a rechargeable battery, so you don’t run out of power halfway through your hike. If the weather is particularly unpredictable when hiking, make sure that your camera can handle rain or snow. For many hikers, the best type of camera for these purposes is a DSLR.
DSLRs are an excellent alternative for everyone who loves photography. Still, they aren’t ready to invest in all the bells and whistles that come with action cams. They’re versatile enough to take on almost any type of outdoor adventure (and they work indoors too!)
Of course, there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all camera. That’s why it’s essential to consider the price range, brand name, and other such considerations when you’re choosing your hiking cam.
- 1 Factors that must consider (Buying Guide):
- 1.1 Price range:
- 1.2 Brand Name:
- 1.3 Customer Reviews:
- 1.4 Size and Weight:
- 1.5 Interface Type:
- 1.6 Video Quality:
- 1.7 Battery Life:
- 1.8 Weatherproofing:
- 1.9 Sensor Size:
- 1.10 Tips for buying your DSLR camera:
- 1.11 What are DSLR cameras?
- 1.12 Top DSLR’s brands:
- 1.13 Top 10 Best DSLR Camera For Hiking:
- 1.14 Nikon D3500
- 1.15 Pros:
- 1.16 Cons:
- 1.17 Canon EOS Rebel SL2
- 1.18 Pros:
- 1.19 Cons:
- 1.20 Pros:
- 1.21 Cons:
- 1.22 Canon EOS Rebel T6i
- 1.23 Pros:
- 1.24 Cons:
- 1.25 Canon EOS Rebel T7i
- 1.26 Pros:
- 1.27 Cons:
- 1.28 Pentax K-70
- 1.29 Pros:
- 1.30 Cons:
- 1.31 Nikon D780
- 1.32 Pros:
- 1.33 Cons:
- 1.34 Nikon D850
- 1.35 Pros:
- 1.36 Cons:
- 1.37 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
- 1.38 Pros:
- 1.39 Cons:
- 1.40 Canon EOS 5DSR
- 1.41 Pros:
- 1.42 Cons:
Factors that must consider (Buying Guide):
- Price range
- Brand name
- Customer Reviews
- Size and weight
- Interface type (touch screen, point, and shoot, etc.)
- Video Quality
- Battery Life
- Sensor Size
DSLRs can be expensive, but there are great cameras in almost every price range.
The brand name of your camera is essential because it tells you how reputable the company is and what kind of customer service to expect if something goes wrong with the product.
Customer reviews are beneficial when you’re trying to find a new camera. You’ll see both positive and negative comments about different products, so make sure that you read through them thoroughly before purchasing anything.
Size and Weight:
If you hike regularly, your camera needs to be lightweight. Many hikers prefer DSLRs because they are durable without being too heavy or bulky.
Some cameras have touch screens while others do not. Point and shoot cameras are the most straightforward camera to use. At the same time, DSLRs come with more buttons and settings that can customize to suit your artistic needs.
A high-quality video is a must for anyone who loves capturing moments on film while they hike. Make sure you check out how good the video quality is before buying anything, so you know what you’re getting into yourself. You don’t want a camera that makes everything look pixelated or fuzzy.
The worst thing that could happen during an outdoor adventure is running out of battery power halfway through, so this feature should be at the top of your list when it comes to choosing a new hiking cam. Make sure that your new camera comes with a rechargeable battery as well as an extra one, just in case you drain the first one before your hike is over.
If you live or hike in a stormy area, choose a camera that has weatherproofing. This feature allows water droplets to slide off of the metal casing very quickly, preventing any corrosion inside the device.
Some cameras have full-frame sensors, while others have smaller ones. Full-frame images allow for more detail and better quality photos overall because each pixel has more space to capture light and information about whatever it is looking at. Other than that, most modern DSL comes with CMOS sensors which give you excellent image quality.
Tips for buying your DSLR camera:
- Make sure you have enough space on your SD card to take all the photos you want to take while hiking.
- Choose a lightweight tripod that won’t weigh your camera bag down too much.
- If you’re taking videos, get a tripod with legs that are easy to extend and retract with one hand.
- Keep in mind that some cameras come with rechargeable batteries, but others require regular batteries instead. Pick whichever type is more accessible for you to find before getting started on your hike.
- Don’t forget extra batteries, either! Having more than one can make things much easier for you when it comes time to swap out drained ones for fresh ones again.
What are DSLR cameras?
They are Digital Single Lens Reflex cameras. It means they have a single lens where the light coming through this lens goes towards an optical viewfinder via a mirror that moves out of the way when you take a photograph. Once the picture is taken, this mirror flips back into place to deliver light to an autofocus sensor behind it, allowing you to see your subject sharply focused through another lens before taking each shot.
Top DSLR’s brands:
Top 10 Best DSLR Camera For Hiking:
- Nikon D3500
- Canon EOS Rebel SL2
- Nikon D5600
- Canon EOS Rebel T6i
- Canon EOS Rebel T7i
- Pentax K-70
- Nikon D780
- Nikon D850
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
- Canon EOS 5DSR
The Nikon D3500 is a compact DSLR camera that’s designed primarily with beginning photographers in mind. It has an impressive 24.2 MP sensor, which means you’ll be able to capture high-quality photos and videos without worrying about whether or not your equipment is up to par. This camera comes with a lens, but make sure you buy an extra one to get the most out of your new hiking cam.
This DSLR camera is sturdy and weatherproof so that you can use it no matter the conditions. It has a lightweight frame, but it packs in all essential components needed for beautiful image quality.
The only downside to this camera is that it doesn’t come with a microphone input, a remote control socket, or an HDMI port. If you like to take videos and capture sound with your photos, make sure you purchase a microphone or a remote before hitting the trails with this device.
- It has impressive 24.2 MP image quality
- The camera is sturdy and weatherproof
- Lightweight design makes it easy to carry around with you all day long
- No microphone input, remote control socket, or HDMI port included in the original packaging
- It doesn’t come with a lens
Canon EOS Rebel SL2
The Canon EOS Rebel SL2 is a DSLR camera that combines portability with excellent image quality. It has an 18-megapixel CMOS sensor, which means you’ll be able to take high-quality photos. It also has the freedom to experiment with your camera until you feel perfectly comfortable using it.
This device comes with a lens, but make sure you purchase an extra one if you want to get the most out of your DSLR. Lenses can add a lot to the quality of your photos. They’ll also help you experiment with different angles and settings until you find ones that work perfectly for your photography style.
This camera is lightweight and small, making it excellent for hikers who want to take their DSLR camera on the trail. It’s small enough to fit in most bags. It has an impressive CMOS sensor that makes it easy to take great photos without worrying whether your equipment is up to par.
- It comes with a CMOS image sensor for high-quality images
- 18 megapixels, so the camera is versatile
- The very lightweight and small design makes it easy to carry around with you all day long
- It doesn’t come with a lens
- The LCD screen doesn’t swivel or tilt for hard to reach angles
The Nikon D5600 is a DSLR plan for beginning photographers. It has an impressive 24.2 MP image quality, 3 inch LCD screen, and 39 autofocus points so your photos will always be in crisp focus no matter what the conditions are like when you’re on location.
This device also comes with a lens, which means you’ll be able to get started right away and begin exploring your camera’s various features. You’ll be able to experiment with shutter speeds, apertures, and ISO levels until you find settings that work perfectly for your photography style.
This device also features an impressive battery life, so you don’t have to worry about the battery dying on you during an outdoor adventure. The Nikon D5600 is built to last, and you’ll be able to explore the great outdoors without worrying about your device breaking or not working like it’s supposed to.
- Impressive 24.2 MP image quality
- 3 inch LCD screen with 39 autofocus points for added focus control
- Excellent battery life
- It comes with a lens
- It doesn’t come with a microphone or an HDMI port for video recording and sound capture.
Canon EOS Rebel T6i
This camera is perfect for hikers and those who enjoy getting outdoors because it’s incredibly lightweight. It weighs just 1 pound, making it easy to carry with you all day long without weighing you down or taking up too much space in your bag. The 18 megapixel CMOS image sensor allows you to take high-quality photos in a variety of different conditions. And the optical viewfinder means your shots are always going to come out clear without any blurriness or motion artifacts. You can also use this device for taking videos, making it versatile enough for outdoor use.
- It comes with a camera lens
- 18 megapixel CMOS image sensor produces clear, crisp images
- Optical viewfinder for added convenience and control
- It doesn’t come with an LCD screen or memory card for more straightforward picture taking.
Canon EOS Rebel T7i
The Canon EOS Rebel T7i DSLR camera is one of the best options on the market for hikers who want to take their photography game outdoors. The 24.2 megapixel CMOS image sensors let you capture high-quality shots, even when there’s little light available. It also comes with an optical viewfinder, which means you’ll be able to see what your camera is seeing and capture the perfect shot.
This Canon model also comes with a generous screen size, adjustable LCD touch screen, and an impressive pixel density of 461PPI. You can quickly review all your photos and take selfies with this device’s various features. It’s a great way to combine enjoying the beauty of nature with documenting your experiences along the way.
- 24.2 megapixel CMOS image sensor for high-quality images
- Optical viewfinder
- Large, adjustable LCD touchscreen so you can review your photos and take selfies
- It comes with a lens for added convenience
- It doesn’t come with a microphone or an HDMI port for sound capture and video recording.
The Pentax K-70 is a DSLR camera with all the great features you need to document your outdoor adventures. It’s incredibly lightweight, weighing just 22.1 ounces, making it easier to carry with you on long hikes or camping trips without feeling bogged down by its weight.
The camera has excellent battery life, allowing you to take photos for hundreds of continuous shots. It’s a great way to capture the perfect image without missing important moments.
The 24.24 MP CMOS sensor in this camera lets you capture high-quality images in all kinds of conditions, including places with low light and movement. You’ll also be able to work with an impressive ISO sensitivity range of 100-51,200, so you can produce crisp, high-quality images.
- Small and lightweight for easy carrying
- Impressive battery life lets you take hundreds of photos before needing to recharge the Camera
- 24.24 megapixel CMOS sensor for clear, crisp images in low light conditions
- ISO sensitivity of 100-51,200 for dealing with a variety of lighting conditions
- It doesn’t come with an LCD screen or memory card for more accessible picture taking.
The Nikon D780 is a significantly more DSLR camera than some of the other options on this list. However, it still has all the features you need to take clear images and videos. The 36.3 MP sensor lets you capture high-quality images even in low light conditions, which means you won’t miss any great shots while you’re out.
This device also features a 3.2-inch LCD screen, as well as an ISO range of 100-6400 that lets you take clear photos even in low light conditions. Plus, the large screen makes it easier to review your images and videos and play around with additional settings before taking more shots.
- 36.3 MP image sensor for high-quality images
- 3.2-inch LCD screen for easy reviewing of photos and videos
- ISO range of 100-6400 to produce clear images even in underlit conditions
- This DSLR camera is one of the larger devices on this list, which might make it more difficult to carry with you on long hikes.
- It doesn’t have a touchscreen LCD.
The D850 is a DSLR camera with a slightly larger screen than the previous Nikon option on this list. It has a 3.2-inch touchscreen LCD monitor that lets you review your images and adjust settings before taking more shots. The camera makes it easier to perfect your photography skills.
You’ll also be able to enjoy impressive battery life in this device, allowing you to take hundreds of shots before needing to recharge the battery. Plus, the 445.7-megapixel sensor makes it easier than ever to capture high-quality images in all conditions, so you’ll be able to relive your experiences wherever you are.
- 3.2-inch LCD touch screen for more straightforward picture taking
- High megapixel sensor for clear images in all conditions
- Battery life of up to 1,840 shots per charge lets you take hundreds of pictures before needing to recharge the camera.
- This device is significantly more expensive than others.
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
The EOS 5D Mark IV is a DSLR camera that gives you all the tools you need to take beautiful, high-quality photos. It has an impressive 30.4 MP image sensor for capturing images in every lighting condition, so you’ll never miss a shot no matter where you are.
This device also features advanced autofocus technology that allows the camera to focus on what matters most, reducing blur in your images.
- 30.4 MP image sensor for clear photos in any lighting conditions
- Advanced autofocus technology reduces blur and increases clarity in all types of shots
- 33.2-inch touchscreen LCD monitor lets you take pictures with ease.
- This DSLR camera is one of the more expensive options on this list.
Canon EOS 5DSR
The Canon EOS 5DS R is a plan for hobbyists, enthusiasts, and professionals looking to capture high-quality images. It has a 50.6 MP image sensor that produces crisp, clear photos in any lighting conditions.
This device also features advanced autofocus technology that improves image clarity and reduces blur so that you won’t miss any great shots.
- 50.6 MP image sensor for high-quality images in any lighting conditions
- Advanced autofocus technology improves image clarity and reduces blur
- 33.2-inch touchscreen LCD monitor for more clear picture taking.
- This device is one of the more expensive options.
The best DSLR camera for hikers is the Canon EOS 5DS R. Has a 50.6 MP image sensor for high-quality images in any lighting conditions. Advanced autofocus technology improves image clarity and reduces blur – a 33.2-inch touchscreen LCD monitor for more accessible picture taking.
All of these features combined make it a great option to take with you on all your hiking trips, so you won’t miss out on capturing any memories because you left your DSLR at home.
If you’re looking to capture the best pictures possible while still keeping your budget in mind, go with the Nikon D850 – 3.2-inch LCD touch screen for more accessible picture-taking – High megapixel sensor for clear images in all conditions –
Battery life of up to 1,840 shots per charge lets you take hundreds of pictures before needing to recharge the camera. It doesn’t have all the fancy features found on some other devices. Still, it will help ensure that you don’t miss any great shots while also relatively affordable.
However, if money is no object and you want a professional model DSLR camera that can take high-quality photos no matter where you are hiking, go with the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV – 30.4 MP image sensor for clear images any lighting conditions.