Not all Dutch oven camping recipes are made for meat lovers!
Got carnivores always asking, “Where’s the meat?”
Forget the hamburger, this Spicy Steak Chili Dutch Oven Camping Recipe calls for steak!
And, it is not for the faint of heart when it comes to the spice level … it has two types of chili powder and peppers.
Plus, adding a few jalapeno peppers for serving and you might call this a 5 alarm chili … that’s why I serve it with a few lime wedges and top it with a dollop of sour cream.
Psst we’re compensated…see our disclosures.
- 1 How To Make Spicy Steak Chili In A Dutch Oven
- 2 Pairings For Steak Chili
- 3 More Camping Steak Recipes
- 4 Print This Spicy Steak Chili Dutch Oven Camping Recipe
- 5 Ingredients
- 6 Instructions
- 7 Recommended Products
- 8 More Chili Recipes For Camping
- 9 More Yummy Camp Recipes
How To Make Spicy Steak Chili In A Dutch Oven
Step 1. Start your campfire and set up the Dutch oven for cooking. You can use charcoal briquettes as a heat source or use a grill grate or a hanging tripod for cooking in your Dutch oven directly over a campfire.
If you are cooking in fire restriction conditions, use a propane camp stove as the heat source.
I like using camping fire starters to take the work out of getting my fire going.
Step 2. Fry the bacon. You will heat a 12-inch camp Dutch oven then add the bacon and fry it until cooked through.
Step 3. Add the aromatics and meat. Now you will add the onions, garlic, and steak, stirring occasionally until browned.
Step 4. Add the stock and spices. Once the steak is browned, you’ll add the beef stock, black beans, tomatoes, chipotle chili powder, regular chili powder, cocoa powder, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, cumin, sugar, salt and black pepper.
Don’t freak out! I know this seems like a truckload of ingredients but it is just a list of spices that can all be pre-measured and pre-mixed at home so you just dump them into your Dutch oven at the campsite.
Step 5. Simmer and wait. Now you can just sit back and relax as this spicy steak chili simmers covered over the low heat of a campfire. Just stir it occasionally for the next hour or so.
Step 6. Garnish and serve. Remove the chili from the fire and garnish with the toppings of your choice including green onions, sour cream, cheddar cheese, lime wedges and jalapeno peppers.
Pairings For Steak Chili
Want to make the classic combination of cornbread and chili? Try our totally yummy Campfire Dutch Oven Jalapeño Cornbread Camping Recipe!
More Camping Steak Recipes
If you love steak, try these awesome camping dinner recipes too!
This Dutch Oven Steak is affordable because it uses flank steak that is made super tender with a simple marinade recipe. The fingerling potatoes make this meal seem fancy while you stay on budget!
Pull out your propane grill or cook this Grilled Flat Iron Camping Steak Recipe over your campfire. Serve it with a side of mixed veggies cooked in a foil pack and you have a simple dinner with very little clean-up required.
Print This Spicy Steak Chili Dutch Oven Camping Recipe
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
- 4 slices thick bacon, cubed
- 2 large onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pound boneless chuck steak, cubed in 1/2” pieces
- 2 cups beef stock
- 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder*
- 1 teaspoon regular chili powder*
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon*
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper*
- 1 teaspoons ground cumin*
- 1 teaspoon sugar*
- 1 teaspoon salt*
- 1 teaspoon black pepper*
- Green onions, sliced (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
- Jalapeno peppers, sliced (optional)
- Ingredients marked with * can be measured and mixed at home so you are only taking one small container to the campsite.
- Heat 12-inch Camp Dutch Oven.
- Fry the bacon.
- Add the onions, garlic and steak stirring occasionally till browned.
- Then stir in the beef stock, black beans, diced tomatoes, chipotle chili powder, regular chili powder, cocoa powder, ground cinnamon, cayenne pepper, ground cumin, sugar, salt and black pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove lid and continue cooking until the chili thickens to your liking.
- Remove your Dutch oven from the heat and top with optional toppings green onions, sour cream, cheddar cheese, lime wedges and jalapeno peppers.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 796Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 183mgSodium: 2246mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 15gSugar: 9gProtein: 69g
More Chili Recipes For Camping
We currently have 4 different campfire Dutch oven chili recipes on Camping For Foodies. You may want to try one or all 4!
I made this Spicy Steak Chili Camping Dutch Oven Recipe on the GFGN TV show with the episode that also featured Amuse Bouche and Wildflower Bread Company. You can check out that episode here.
More Yummy Camp Recipes
Make sure you try new and exciting food ideas for every meal of your trip!