If you are making this sweet treat as one of our camping food recipes no refrigeration required, you will need to be making it on a cooler weather camp trip so the chocolate can harden.
This Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls Camping Recipe is fun to make with kids … as long as they are not eating them as fast as they roll them. LOL
Psst we’re compensated…see our disclosures.
- 1 Non-Refrigerated Ingredients Camping Dessert Recipe
- 2 Step 1. Mix the ingredients.
- 3 Step 2. Roll into balls.
- 4 Step 3. Melt the chocolate.
- 5 Step 4. Cover the balls in chocolate.
- 6 Step 5. Cool to harden chocolate.
- 7 Print This Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls Camping Recipe
- 8 Ingredients
- 9 Instructions
- 10 Recommended Products
Non-Refrigerated Ingredients Camping Dessert Recipe
In my collection of camping dessert recipes, I made this one as part of an emergency preparedness campaign so I had to use ingredients that did not require refrigeration … which is also great for camping!
Emergency Tip: It’s important to maintain a food supply that will meet your family’s needs for a minimum of 72 hours; some people like to have an even longer supply. No matter how large your emergency supply; make sure you rotate items so you will have fresh food, water and medications in the event of an emergency.
Step 1. Mix the ingredients.
In a large bowl you are going to combine the peanut butter, marshmallow and mixed nuts. Then you will fold in the cereal.
Step 2. Roll into balls.
This is the fun part that the kids can help with. You roll the peanut butter mixture into balls approximately that are approximately 1 inch sized and set aside.
Step 3. Melt the chocolate.
Using camping propane and a stove with the burner set to low heat, mix the chocolate and shortening in a small sauce pan, stirring until it is just melted.
Camp Cooking Tip: It is best to use a camp stove that has a control knob for easy temperature regulation. You can use the heat of a campfire but make sure you are maintaining a low heat otherwise you will burn the chocolate.
Step 4. Cover the balls in chocolate.
Take the pan off of the heat and roll the peanut butter balls in the chocolate mixture until the entire ball is covered.
Step 5. Cool to harden chocolate.
Remove the balls from the pan and let harden on a piece of wax paper in a cool location. If a refrigerator is available, it works best but coolers or a tabletop location with cool air temperatures work too.
Print This Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Balls Camping Recipe
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Additional Time 15 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 7 oz jar marshmallow fluff
- 1/8 cup mixed nuts, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups crisp rice cereal
- 1 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons shortening
- In large bowl combine peanut butter, marshmallow and mixed nuts.
- Then fold in cereal.
- Roll into balls approximately 1 inch sized and set aside.
- In small sauce pan, mix chocolate and shortening and heat slowly over low heat of camp stove just until melted.
- Take off heat and roll peanut butter balls in chocolate mixture.
- Let harden on wax paper in cool location (if refrigerator is available, it works best but coolers or location with cool air temperatures work too.)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 226Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 103mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 4g
We have tons of fun and flavorful camping food options for every meal of your camp day!
Our Cool Camping Products Make Great Gifts!