When camping cocktails feature citrus, there is no substitute for freshness!
Arizona’s got 5 C’s … ever heard of them? The state was built on Copper, Cattle, Cotton, Citrus and Climate. With a nod to springtime in Arizona, the Red Grapefruit Fizz Cocktail was born. This cool, refreshing, slightly sweet drink is over-the-top fun with a bubbly fizz.
Psst we’re compensated…see our disclosures.
- 1 When Is Grapefruit In Season?
- 2 White vs Pink vs Red Grapefruit
- 3 Stainless Martini Shaker Benefits
- 4 Juicing Fresh Fruit
- 5 How To Make A Grapefruit Red Fizz Drink
- 6 Print This Ruby Red Grapefruit Fizz Cocktail Recipe
- 7 Ingredients
- 8 Instructions
- 9 Recommended Products
- 10 Food Pairings
When Is Grapefruit In Season?
Even though citrus groves in Arizona are becoming scarcer, you can still find remnants of them in pockets throughout the state. Their remains are undeniable in the springtime when the air is perfumed with the scent of citrus blossoms that are borderline intoxicating.
Arizona is not the only state that produces this refreshing fruit. Because of the different growing seasons, you can find fresh citrus throughout the year.
- Arizona & California grapefruits are available January – August.
- Florida & Texas grapefruits are available October – June.
White vs Pink vs Red Grapefruit
The color of the grapefruit’s pulp is not the only difference to consider when you are thinking about which variety you want to use in a recipe.
- White grapefruit flesh has a yellow-ish color, almost like a lemon.
- Pink grapefruit flesh has a pink-ish / yellow-ish color, closer to a muted orange.
- Red grapefruit flesh has a deep pink-ish / red-ish color, the deepest color of the three.
When a recipe calls for red grapefruit, you really don’t want to substitute any other variety because of the flavor. A red grapefruit is much sweeter than its pink and white cousins. If you can’t find red grapefruit, and you decide to use pink or white, you’ll need to add more sugar in some other form to compensate for the added tartness of those varieties.
- White grapefruit is the most tart.
- Pink grapefruit is in the middle.
- Red grapefruit is the sweetest but still has a gentle tartness.
Stainless Martini Shaker Benefits
When you are camping, you want to use gear that is not super fragile. Stainless steel has the benefit of being very durable and non-breakable.
The other thing that is great about stainless shakers is their ability to produce super-cold drinks if you shake vigorously and use lots of ice. You really can’t get drinks much colder!
Camping Themed Cocktail Shaker Gift Set
Juicing Fresh Fruit
When fresh citrus is the star of the show, you can’t cheat by using something out of a bottle. This recipes calls for juice from a grapefruit, orange and lime.
I always carry a wooden citrus reamer in my camp kitchen box … it is the most compact tool that still gets tons of juice out of the fruit.
Wooden Citrus Reamer
If you don’t want to carry a special tool, you can just squeeze the citrus by hand.
Camping Cocktail Making Tip: When juicing fresh citrus, let the fruit sit in the sun to warm up a bit, roll the fruit on a table while pressing down firmly with the palm of your hand. When you do this, the membranes loosen up. Then, slice the citrus in half and squeeze by hand or use a reamer to extract the juice.
How To Make A Grapefruit Red Fizz Drink
You can make a drink fizzy by using a cocktail shaker or adding a carbonated liquid … for this recipe we are doing both!
You’ll start by filling a martini shaker with ice.
Then, you’ll juice a grapefruit, orange and lime into the shaker.
Put the cap on the shaker and shake vigorously to combine all of the ingredients and chill them well.
Now, fill a 16-20 oz. serving glass with ice and strain the citrus juice from the shaker.
Top with equal parts cranberry juice and club soda to fill the glass.
Garnish with a fresh lime slice and enjoy.
For adults who want an alcoholic version of this drink, add a shot of vodka or gin to the shaker with the citrus.
Print This Ruby Red Grapefruit Fizz Cocktail Recipe
Prep Time 5 minutes
Total Time 5 minutes
- 1 Ruby Red Grapefruit
- 1 Orange
- 1/2 Lime + Lime slice
- Ice to fill two (16-20 oz.) glasses
- Splash of cranberry juice
- Splash of club soda
- OPTIONAL: 1 shot vodka or gin to make an alcoholic version of this drink.
- Fill a martini shaker with ice.
- Juice a grapefruit, orange and 1/2 lime into the shaker.
- Secure the cap tightly on the shaker and shake vigorously to chill and combine all the ingredients. NOTE: This is an alcohol-free drink, if you want to make it an alcoholic version, add a shot of vodka or gin to the shaker with the citrus.
- Fill a 16-20 oz. serving glass with ice.
- Strain the cocktail from the shaker into the serving glass.
- Top with equal parts cranberry juice and club soda to fill the glass.
- Garnish the rim of the glass with a fresh lime slice and enjoy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 403Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 10gSugar: 32gProtein: 4g
Cocktails and mocktails are wonderful on their own but they are better with snacks and appetizers.
Some of my favorites are…
- Spiced-Up Mixed Nuts Camping Recipe
- Blue And Cheddar Cheeseball
- Dutch Oven Campfire Spinach Dip
- Camping Nachos
Check our all of our fun, easy and unique recipes for every meal of your trips!