This is bound to become one of your favorite one pot Dutch oven camping recipes you serve for dinner!
If you want an easy meal that is packed with flavor and cooks in a single pot, this Dutch oven Latin campfire chicken should be on your next camp menu!
Psst we’re compensated…see our disclosures.
- 1 How To Make This Latin Campfire Chicken Recipe
- 2 Step 1. Prep the ingredients.
- 3 Step 2. Prepare your cooking equipment.
- 4 Step 3. Combine the ingredients and cook.
- 5 Step 4. Uncover to thicken.
- 6 Step 5. Top and serve.
- 7 More Chicken Meals
- 8 Print This Dutch Oven Latin Campfire Chicken One Pot Camping Recipe
- 9 Ingredients
- 10 Instructions
- 11 Recommended Products
- 12 More Camping Food Ideas
How To Make This Latin Campfire Chicken Recipe
Some of the best easy camping meals are just a combination of good ingredients that are mixed together in a single pot and create a complete meal.
Step 1. Prep the ingredients.
You’ll need to cut up some chicken and chop the veggies including the garlic, sweet potato and bell pepper.
Camping Flexible Cutting Mats
Step 2. Prepare your cooking equipment.
I like making this as one of our campfire recipes, so you’ll need to get your fire going to cook over coals … you can also use charcoal briquettes as a heat source.
Alternatively, this meal can be made as one of the easiest camp stove recipes because you are just simmering the entire pot over a medium-low heat. If you want to use this method, get your stove ready to cook on a level surface.
Step 3. Combine the ingredients and cook.
Now it is time to mix all of the ingredients together in a 12 inch camp Dutch oven including the chicken, salsa, broth, cumin, allspice, salt, pepper, garlic, sweet potato, bell pepper and beans.
You’ll put the lid on your oven so the pot can get up to temperature … you will be simmering the ingredients over a medium-low heat, covered for about 45 minutes.
You want the chicken to be cooked through and the potatoes to become tender.
This warm and hearty meal make it perfect for winter camping recipes on cold weather trips!
Step 4. Uncover to thicken.
At this point, this Dutch oven chicken camping meal will seem almost soup-like in its consistency so you’ll want to remove the lid and continue to cook uncovered until all of the liquid is absorbed … this will take about 20 – 30 minutes.
Lodge Camp Dutch Oven Lid Lifter
Step 5. Top and serve.
A bit of fresh cilantro really brings a nice, bright flavor to this dish.
Just sprinkle it over the top of the meal and serve.
More Chicken Meals
If you love this versatile, affordable protein, we have more camping dinner recipes that use chicken in many different flavor profiles!
You might especially like:
Dutch Oven Thai Campfire Chicken Recipe
Cast Iron Dutch Oven Chicken Enchiladas
Easy Campfire Dutch Oven Dijon Mustard Sauce Chicken Recipe
Camp Oven Chicken Curry
Print This Dutch Oven Latin Campfire Chicken One Pot Camping Recipe
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 5 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 20 minutes
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup prepared hot salsa
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin *
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice *
- 1/2 teaspoon salt *
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper *
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed into bite-sized pieces approximately 1/4 – 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (15oz.) cans black beans, drained
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- Ingredients marked with * can be measured and mixed at home.
- Prepare campfire for cooking over low heat. Alternatively, you can use charcoal briquettes or a propane camp stove.
- Mix chicken, salsa, broth, cumin, allspice, salt, pepper, garlic, sweet potato, bell pepper and beans in a 12 inch camp Dutch oven.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender … this will be about 45 – 60 minutes.
- Now, remove the lid and cook uncovered until all of the liquid is absorbed to form a thickened sauce … this will take about 20 – 30 minutes.
- Top with cilantro and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 511Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 193mgSodium: 1032mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 77g