You gotta love Dutch oven camping recipes that make one pot dinner meals!
This easy, super tender Campfire Roast Beef Dutch Oven Camping Recipe has a Mexican flavor profile that is perfect for meat and potato lovers!
Psst we’re compensated…see our disclosures.
How To Make Camp Oven Roast Beef
This is one of our favorite winter camping recipes because it is cooked over a campfire and makes a really hearty meat and potatoes comfort food meal.
Step 1. Get your campfire started. Get your camping fire starters ready to light your fire for cooking.
Camp Cooking Tip: You will be cooking this roast beef for about 2 hours over your campfire so
make sure you have your fire ring separated.
When you are cooking campfire recipes that require an extended time period for cooking split your campfire ring.
Reserve one side for cooking with campfire coals.
Reserve the other side for burning wood that is producing
your upcoming coals.
You’ll want to make sure you have an ample supply of coals as needed throughout the cooking process.
Step 2. Season the meat. The roast beef needs to be liberally seasoned on all sides with salt and pepper.
Step 3. Prepare cast iron Dutch oven for cooking. You will be searing the meat with high heat so you’ll want to get your 12 inch cast iron Dutch oven preheated.
Step 4. Brown the meat. Place the vegetable oil in the pre-heated Dutch oven.
The oil will quickly get hot, as soon as it does, add the
roast beef to the pot.
You will be searing the beef on all sides … as soon as one side is seared, turn it to sear the next side.
Repeat the process until every side (including the ends) are seared to a nice golden brown color.
Camp Cooking Tip: Don’t try to turn the meat before it is fully seared. If you try to turn it and the roast is sticking to the pan … it is NOT READY to turn. When it “releases” from the pan, it is time to flip it to the next side.
Step 5. Reduce heat to medium and add the simmering ingredients. The thing that makes this campfire roast beef so tender is that it simmers for a long time.
The thing that makes it one of our easy camping meals is the fact that there are not many ingredients and most of them are canned!
You’ll need to reduce the heat to medium and add the beef broth, fire roasted tomatoes, diced
green chile peppers and Mexican
Step 6. Cover and simmer. Now it is time to simmer this beef roast for 1 1/2 hours.
You will be covering the Dutch oven for the simmering
process so you will need to lift the lid periodically to make sure the pot is evenly
DON’T allow the beef roast to get to a boil because it needs
to cook low and slow to achieve a fork-tender consistency.
Step 7. Prepare the potatoes. While the roast is cooking, peel and cut the potatoes.
Camping Flexible Cutting Mats
Step 8. Add the potatoes. Now it is time to cook the potatoes.
Place them around the pot surrounding the roast and continue
cooking until the potatoes are tender.
Step 9. Serve and enjoy. Remove the Dutch oven from your campfire and serve.
We like serving this meal with a slice of bread we make using this Dutch oven bread camping recipe that requires no yeast!
Camp Cooking Tip: If you are camping during a time of fire restrictions, this meal easily transitions to one of our awesome camp stove recipes. In fact, it is easier to control the heat … just make sure you have enough propane to cook for at least 2 hours.
You can get creative while still keeping your camping dinner recipes easy!
These Dutch Oven Beef Sandwiches are so simple to make! You need 3 basic ingredients and you’ll be cooking this amazing dinner! The beef roast is fork-tender after cooking … low and slow … with the juice and mild peppers. Shred the meat and pile it high on a hoagie roll for the perfect summertime meal.
Looking for a hearty stew recipe? You’ve gotta try this one! The tomato-based sauce is the perfect backdrop for the beef, carrots and potatoes in this super-popular Campfire Stew!
If you want more one pot camping meals, we’ve got tons of them!
Print This Campfire Roast Beef Dutch Oven Camping Recipe
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours
Total Time 2 hours 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 pound beef chuck roast
- Salt and pepper to season
- 14 oz can beef broth
- 14 oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 oz can diced green chile peppers
- 2 tablespoons Mexican seasoning blend
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Prepare the campfire for cooking over high then medium heat.
- Season the beef chuck roast with salt and pepper.
- Preheat 12 inch cast iron Dutch oven for searing the meat with high heat.
- Place vegetable oil in the pre-heated oven and wait for the oil to get hot (this will not take long.)
- Brown roast on all sides in Dutch oven over high heat. Don’t forget to brown the ends too. The meat is seared and ready to flip when it releases from the Dutch oven … if it is sticking, it is not ready to flip.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the beef broth, fire roasted tomatoes, diced green chile peppers and Mexican seasoning blend.
- Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- While the roast is cooking, peel and cut the potatoes.
- Now add the potatoes to the pot around the outside of the beef roast.
- Continue to simmer covered until meat and potatoes are fully cooked through, approximately 30 – 45 minutes longer.
- Serve with fresh parsley, optional.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 694Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 188mgSodium: 2075mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 60g
More Camping Meal Ideas
You can have simple but totally delicious recipes for every meal on your next trip! Get creative with your menu by trying something new!