Cooking campfire meals in foil is commonplace during regular camp trips so why not carry on the tradition for your Thanksgiving meal too?
These Camping Foil Packets Grilled Spiced Potatoes use white potatoes and yams offering a great flavor and texture combination.
The sweet and mildly hot spices blend with a touch of cinnamon to add an extra holiday flavor to this camping recipe side dish.
Psst we’re compensated…see our disclosures.
- 1 Camping Foil Packets Grilled Spiced Potatoes
- 2 Equipment You Might Need
- 3 Camping Foil Packets Grilled Spiced Potatoes Instructions
- 4 Other Yummy Potato Recipes For Camping
- 5 Print This Camping Foil Packets Grilled Spiced Potatoes Camp Recipe!
- 6 Ingredients
- 7 Instructions
- 8 Recommended Products
Camping Foil Packets Grilled Spiced Potatoes
This is just one of our favorite winter camping recipes we make on our cold weather trips.
Equipment You Might Need
When we are cooking several easy campfire recipes for our Thanksgiving feast, we usually have a few “novice campers” pitching in with the meal.
I make sure that everyone has good gear to keep them safe around the hot coals of the campfire and grills.
I like using extra long utensils that keep my fellow cooks as far away from the heat as possible.
Here are some of my favorites: Heavy-Duty Campfire Log Tweezers, Extra Long Extreme Heat Gloves and 16-Inch Locking Tongs.
Heavy-Duty Campfire Log TweezersExtra Long Extreme Heat Gloves16-Inch Locking Tongs
Camping Foil Packets Grilled Spiced Potatoes Instructions
Mix the Spices: Brown sugar, onion powder, ground cumin, cinnamon, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
Cut and Season the Potatoes: White potato and yam.
Peel and cut the potatoes then place into bowl and toss with the spice mixture.
Prepare the Foil: 4 pieces (approximately 12 x 12 inches) heavy duty foil and butter.
Cut 4 pieces of heavy duty foil to size … If you don’t have heavy duty foil, just use two layers of the regular stuff. Grease foil with butter. Divide the spiced potatoes into equal portions and place them in the center of each piece of foil. Divide the butter cubes evenly amongst the foil packets by placing around the potatoes. Fold the foil packets closed and set aside until ready to cook.
Cook the Potatoes
Place foil packets on grate over medium heat and turn them every 5-10 minutes until the potatoes are tender … total cooking time should be about 20-30 minutes.
Camp Cooking Tip: A great thing about these potatoes is that you can combine the ingredients, make the packets then set them aside until you are ready to cook them.
Waaaaay beyond that … you know how much we all love avoiding dish-panned hands with foil throw-away dishes!
When it comes to prepping veggies, I like to use equipment that is camp-friendly.
That means it is lightweight, easy to pack and the blades have covers for safe transportation and storage.
Here are a few of my favorites: Knives With Blade Covers, Lightweight Flexible Cutting Mats, and a Peeler With Blade Cover.
Knives With Blade CoversLightweight Flexible Cutting MatsPeeler With Blade Cover
Other Yummy Potato Recipes For Camping
If you want foil packet potatoes without the spice, try these easy camping potatoes in foil.
Thinking you want to grill some “french fries”? Try these quick grilled potato wedges.
Print This Camping Foil Packets Grilled Spiced Potatoes Camp Recipe!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- 1 large white potato
- 1 large yam
- 4 pieces (approximately 12 x 12 inches) heavy duty foil
- 2 tablespoons butter – cut into small cubes + extra for greasing
- Prepare your campfire or grill for cooking.
- Mix the spices.
- Peel and cut the potatoes.
- Place potatoes in bowl and then toss with the spice mixture.
- Prepare the foil. Cut 4 pieces of heavy duty foil to size … If you don’t have heavy duty foil, just use two layers of the regular stuff. Grease foil with butter.
- Divide the spiced potatoes into equal portions and place them in the center of each piece of foil.
- Divide the butter cubes evenly amongst the foil packets by placing around the potatoes.
- Fold the foil packets closed and set aside until ready to cook.
- Cook the potatoes. Place foil packets on grate over medium heat and turn them every 5-10 minutes until the potatoes are tender … total cooking time should be about 20-30 minutes.
- Serve warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 187Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 15mgSodium: 133mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 3g
This is one of the recipes we make when we are camping on Thanksgiving.
See our entire menu on our Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner At The Campsite post.
Get tips for cooking the big meal on our Thanksgiving Dinner At The Campsite With Camping For Foodies post.
Get trip planning help on our Easy Tips for a Thanksgiving Camping Trip post!
Check out our Dutch Oven Camp Cooking Tips post for more helpful info to cook like a pro with your camp Dutch oven!
No time to look for recipes, create a menu and write a grocery list? No Problem! Get our 3-Day Dutch Oven Camp Menu Plan here!
Our Cool Camping Products Make Great Gifts!
Cutting MatMat SetShaker SetHammock
If you need camping recipes and menu ideas, you can find them here at the Camping For Foodies Camping Recipes list.
Don’t miss a thing…sign up for Camping For Foodies email updates!
Your purchase of our products will help support World Vision ® Building a better world for children.