This is one of those camping dessert recipes you will swear came out of a fancy restaurant!
I love using cupcake wrappers to create individual portions in my Dutch oven camping recipes.
Pour this batter into the wrappers and in 10 minutes you’ll be finishing off a great meal with this scrumptious Chocolate Lava Dutch Oven Cakes Camping Recipe fit for a 5-star feast!
Psst we’re compensated…see our disclosures.
Chocolate Lava Dutch Oven Cakes Camping Recipe
A few Dutch oven accessories that might be helpful with this recipe.
Lodge 4-in-1 Camp Dutch Oven ToolHeavy Duty Heat Resistant GlovesLodge Dutch Oven Lid Lifter
Camp Cooking Tip: One of the secrets to easily making these Chocolate Lava Dutch Oven Cakes in a camp Dutch oven is to use Foil Cupcake Liners because they stay in place as you pour the batter in each cup and they hold their shape as the batter bakes.
Just place the liners in the bottom of the oven and pour an even amount of batter in each cup.
Cupcake Liners Aluminum Foil Cups Cake Muffin Molds For Baking
Make The Batter
You can prepare this batter and refrigerate it up to 24 hours before you bake these Chocolate Lava Dutch Oven Cakes.
I like to make the batter before I prepare dinner so it is ready as soon as we finish eating our main course.
Pre-Heat The Oven, Add Batter And Bake
Pre-heat 12-inch Dutch oven to 450°F.
See my Dutch Oven Temperature Chart post for number of charcoal briquettes to use and other cooking tips.
Cool, Sugar And Serve
Let these little Chocolate Lava Dutch Oven Cakes cool slightly in the bottom of the oven by removing the lid and setting the oven away from the coals.
They will fall as they cool.
I like serving them when they are slightly warm and gooey so I don’t let them cool too much.
Just before serving, I sprinkle them with a little bit of powered sugar.
Be careful when removing the cakes from the Dutch oven because the oven will retain heat for a period of time.
If you have any leftovers just place them in your RV refrigerator or camp cooler … once chilled they are sort of like a cross between a chocolate cupcake and a delectable chocolate fudge!
Print This Chocolate Lava Dutch Oven Cakes Camping Recipe
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Foil cupcake liners to fit bottom of the oven (will make about 12 cakes)
- In bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, salt and flour, beat by hand till sugar is dissolved.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and chocolate chips.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in the egg/sugar mixture until smooth.
- Pre-heat 12-inch Dutch oven to 450°F (approximately 33 coals: 22 top/11 bottom). If you are using a different size oven, see my Dutch Oven Temperature Chart for number of charcoal briquettes to use and other cooking tips.
- Add foil cupcake liners to fit bottom of the oven (will make about 12 cakes).
- Pour equal amounts of batter in each liner.
- Bake approximately 8-10 minutes, you want the batter to puff up BUT not enough to set the center (this is where the lava comes from…yum!)
- Let cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- NOTE: Let these little Chocolate Lava Dutch Oven Cakes cool slightly in the bottom of the oven by removing the lid and setting the oven away from the coals. They will fall as they cool. I like serving them when they are slightly warm and gooey so I don’t let them cool too much. Just before serving, I sprinkle them with a little bit of powered sugar. Be careful when removing the cakes from the Dutch oven because the oven will retain heat for a period of time.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 296Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 120mgSodium: 66mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 4g
We hope to inspire you to make yummy camping food for breakfast, appetizer, dinner, side and dessert!
No time to look for recipes, create a menu and write a grocery list? No Problem! Get our 3-Day Dutch Oven Camp Menu Plan here!
Our Cool Camping Products Make Great Gifts!
Cutting MatMat SetShaker SetHammock
If you need camping recipes and menu ideas, you can find them here at the Camping For Foodies Camping Recipes list.
Don’t miss a thing…sign up for Camping For Foodies email updates!
Your purchase of our products will help support World Vision ® Building a better world for children.