You gotta love super simple Dutch oven camping recipes that use minimal ingredients, cook fast and make tasty one pot dinners!
This Sausage Sauerkraut Dutch Oven Camping Recipe uses 3 ingredients that are packed with flavor and create a hearty meal in 10 minutes!
Psst we’re compensated…see our disclosures.
- 1 How To Make Sausage With Sauerkraut And Dumplings
- 2 Step 1. Get your coals ready.
- 3 Step 2. Defrost the dumplings.
- 4 Step 3. Place the sauerkraut in the Dutch oven.
- 5 Step 4. Layer the remaining ingredients.
- 6 Step 5. Place the coals in a circle.
- 7 Step 6. Cover and steam.
- 8 Step 7. Serve and enjoy.
- 9 Print This Sausage Sauerkraut Dutch Oven Camping Recipe
- 10 Ingredients
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Recommended Products
- 13 Try All Of My Recipes
How To Make Sausage With Sauerkraut And Dumplings
Step 1. Get your coals ready.
You can use charcoal briquettes, campfire coals or a propane camp stove to make this recipe.
If you are using campfire coals, get your camping fire starters ready to light your fire for cooking early because there is about ZERO prep for this recipe … it will be ready for cooking really fast.
Step 2. Defrost the dumplings.
You will be using frozen bread dumplings that are pre-sliced in this recipe.
They need to be slightly defrosted so you can separate the slices.
Step 3. Place the sauerkraut in the Dutch oven.
There is no need to pre-heat your 12-inch cast iron Dutch oven.
You’ll open the can of sauerkraut and dump it in the pot … yes, it is that simple!
Don’t drain the kraut, it is the liquid in the sauerkraut that steams the dumplings.
Step 4. Layer the remaining ingredients.
Place the pre-cooked smoked sausage over the sauerkraut.
Camp Cooking Tip: The sausage is the “rack” that holds the dumplings above the liquid for steaming them so place the sausage in the center of the oven to provide as much “surface space” as possible to keep the dumplings out of the liquid.
Now, place the dumplings on the sausage in one single layer.
Step 5. Place the coals in a circle.
This sausage sauerkraut is one of the fastest camping dinner recipes you will make … it cooks in 10 minutes!
Just make sure you place the coals in a full circle (not a ring) … including the center … to heat the entire bottom of the Dutch oven.
The thing that makes it one of our easy camping meals is the fact that there are not many ingredients and no chopping is involved!
Step 6. Cover and steam.
You will be covering the Dutch oven for the steaming process.
The smoked sausage is fully cooked so you are just heating it and the sauerkraut.
It only takes about 10 minutes for the dumplings to be steamed by the sauerkraut liquid.
Step 7. Serve and enjoy.
Remove the Dutch oven from the coals, slice the sausage and serve with the sauerkraut, dumplings and your mustard of choice.
Camping Flexible Cutting Mats
Camp Cooking Tip: If you don’t feel like messing with coals, just make this recipe as one of our awesome camp stove recipes that uses propane.
Print This Sausage Sauerkraut Dutch Oven Camping Recipe
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 14 oz package smoked sausage
- 14.5 oz can shredded sauerkraut
- 13 oz package bread dumplings
- 4 tablespoons Dijon mustard for serving (optional)
- Prepare 12 coals for cooking (* see note below).
- Allow the sausage to come to room temperature. At the same time, remove the dumplings from the box to slightly defrost them to separate the slices.
- Do NOT drain the sauerkraut, spread contents of can evenly around a 12-inch camp Dutch oven. (You don’t have to pre-heat your oven for this recipe.)
- Place smoked sausage over the sauerkraut.
- Separate the sliced dumplings and place them in a single layer over the sausage.
- Place the coals in a pattern that will evenly heat a 12-inch Dutch oven from below. (You are using all of the coals under the oven, no coals will be placed on the lid. Place them in a full circular pattern including the center, not just a ring around the outside.)
- Cover the Dutch oven with the lid and cook for about 10 minutes. (The sausage is already cooked so you are just heating it and the sauerkraut liquid is steaming the dumplings.)
- Serve with mustard if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 576Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 2303mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 5gSugar: 4gProtein: 22g
Try All Of My Recipes
There are so many ways to enjoy awesome meals in the great outdoors!