This is one of the most fun camping breakfast ideas that will start your morning off on the right foot!
Pizza and breakfast usually don’t go together but this easy Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza Camping Recipe changes all of that!
Whip up a fast cornmeal batter crust, top with a few more easy ingredients and bake in your campfire Dutch oven. BAM!
You are the camp cook hero for the entire weekend!
Psst we’re compensated…see our disclosures.
- 1 Easy Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza Recipe
- 2 How To Make Camp Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza
- 3 Step 1: Start your campfire or charcoal briquettes and set up the Dutch oven for cooking.
- 4 Step 2: Prep Your Veggies
- 5 Step 3: Make The Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza Crust Batter
- 6 Step 4: Grease The Dutch Oven
- 7 Step 5: Add Pizza Crust Batter To Dutch Oven
- 8 Step 6: Combine Topping Mixture And Pour Over Pizza Crust
- 9 Step 7: Bake The Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza
- 10 Step 8: Serving The Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza
- 11 Step 9: Slice The Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza
- 12 Ingredients
- 13 Instructions
- 14 Recommended Products
Easy Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza Recipe
I’ve got tons of one pot camping meals and this particular one was designed to please me and my husband.
There are so many people who like pizza for breakfast … I am NOT one of them. My husband can eat a few slices of cold leftover pizza right out of the refrigerator at 7 a.m. That just blows my mind!
If I am going to have pizza for breakfast, I need it to be a little more like an “egg-ish” dish. So, I created this Easy Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza Recipe to please us both.
How To Make Camp Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza
Step 1: Start your campfire or charcoal briquettes and set up the Dutch oven for cooking.
You are going to bake your Dutch oven breakfast pizza at 400° for 30-40 minutes in a 12” Dutch oven … which means you will place your coals with 19 top/10 bottom = 29 coals total.
If you are using a different size of Dutch oven, check our Dutch Oven Temperature Chart post to see how many coals you need.
Camp Cooking Tip: If you decide to use a 10″ Dutch oven for this recipe, the crust will be extra thick so you may want to make a half-batch of the batter.
If you are using a 14″ Dutch oven, the pizza crust will be on the thinner side but still totally yummy!
Step 2: Prep Your Veggies
Now you’ll want to prep all of your veggies.
I like using super lightweight camp kitchen gear that I can hang from hooks like my Flexible Cutting Mat Set! The set has 3 convenient sizes so I always have the right size mat for every task.
Camping Flexible Cutting Mats
Step 3: Make The Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza Crust Batter
Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.
Now, add the wet ingredients and stir lightly.
Step 4: Grease The Dutch Oven
Grease pre-heated Dutch oven with a light layer of cooking spray.
Step 5: Add Pizza Crust Batter To Dutch Oven
Spread the batter in the bottom of a lightly sprayed, pre-heated Dutch oven.
Make sure the batter is spread pretty evenly and be careful not to burn yourself because the Dutch oven should be warm.
Step 6: Combine Topping Mixture And Pour Over Pizza Crust
Now, it is time to add the “egg” part (that I personally need to eat pizza for breakfast LOL)
Whisk together the topping and pour it over the pizza crust (batter) in the Dutch oven and then add the toppings that will be baked.
Step 7: Bake The Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza
You’ll bake this breakfast pizza at 400° for approximately 30-40 minutes … it is done when the pizza is slightly browned and a toothpick should come out clean.
You’ll want to rotate the lid of the Dutch oven about a quarter of a turn, and the bottom of the oven a quarter of a turn in the opposite direction … every 10 minutes or so … that way you will have an evenly baked pizza for breakfast!
The morning we made this Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza Camping Recipe we had a large group of hungry campers to feed so we also made our Camp Dutch Oven Coffee Cake and we stacked our Dutch ovens to cook them both at the same time and used a minimal amount of charcoal briquettes.
Step 8: Serving The Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza
Just before serving, add the un-baked toppings.
Step 9: Slice The Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza
Let the pizza cool slightly before slicing and serving.
Just as with any camping food you bake in your camp Dutch oven, the first piece comes out a little “rough” and then you can use a spatula to get the other servings out … they will look much prettier.
Print this Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza Camping Recipe
Dry ingredients for the batter
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
Wet ingredients for the batter
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites (reserve the yolks for the topping)
- 1 cup milk
Ingredients for the topping
- 1 egg + 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cup cubed deli ham
- Salt and pepper to taste
Ingredients to top before serving
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes
- Drizzle of sour cream or honey (depending on if you want to add a little sweetness or saltiness to finish it off)
- Start your campfire or charcoal briquettes, set up a 12-inch camp Dutch oven for cooking and pre-heat to 400°.
- Make the Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza Crust batter. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Then, lightly stir in wet ingredients.
- Whisk together the topping ingredients.
- Grease pre-heated Dutch oven with light layer of cooking spray.
- Spread the batter in the bottom of a lightly sprayed pre-heated Dutch oven.
- Pour the topping over the pizza crust (batter).
- Bake your Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza at 400° in a 12” Dutch oven (19 top/10 bottom = 29 coals total) for approximately 30-40 minutes till slightly browned and toothpick comes out clean.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 592Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 242mgSodium: 1741mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 32g
If you are cooking for a crowd, this Dutch Oven Breakfast Pizza goes well with our Camp Dutch Oven Coffee Cake.
If you are a real pizza lover and want it for breakfast and dinner, check out our Dutch Oven Pizza Camping Recipe too!
You can’t have a camping breakfast without a good cup of camp coffee!
Did you know you can make specialty coffee out in the wilderness?
Check out our The Best Camping Coffee Gadgets Make Unique Gifts For Coffee Lovers Who Camp post for more ideas to elevate your camp coffee beverages!
See all of our yummy breakfast, appetizer, dinner, side and dessert camp Dutch oven recipes your family will love! Check out our Dutch Oven Recipes For Camping post!