This is one of our comfort food Dutch oven camping recipes that is a super simple one pot meal!
When you are camping in cooler weather it is really nice to
have a warm and hearty dinner.
This Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff Camping Recipe is a twist on the classic and made really easy for the campsite.
Psst we’re compensated…see our disclosures.
Simple Beef Stroganoff For Camping
Stroganoff is almost the definition of comfort food and that is why this easy meal is one of our favorite winter camping recipes!
How To Make This Quick Stroganoff Campfire Recipe
You can use a cast iron camp Dutch oven to make this simple beef stroganoff over a campfire, using charcoal briquettes or on a camp stove.
Step 1. Prep the veggies and slice the meat. I like to do all of my food prep first so the cooking process is calm and relaxing. For this recipe, you’ll be chopping some onion, garlic, parsley and slicing the meat.
When camping, I use my flexible cutting mats that come in 3 different sizes for various tasks … they are easy to clean and hang from hooks when not in use.
Flexible Camping Cutting Mats
Step 2. Prepare your campfire, briquettes or camp stove for cooking. It takes a bit longer to prepare for cooking with a campfire than charcoal briquettes or a camp stove. So, get out your camping fire starters and firewood so you can let the wood burn down to get enough hot coals ready for cooking.
Step 3. Heat the Dutch oven and oil. First you’ll want to heat your 12-inch cast iron Dutch oven over a medium-high heat. Once the pot is hot, add the oil to it.
Step 4. Season and brown the steak. It is time to generously season the steak with salt and pepper then add it to the Dutch oven stirring to brown all sides. You are just browning here … not cooking … so, remove the meat from the pot as soon as it is browned. Cover it to keep it warm and set it aside.
Step 5. Cook the veggies. Reduce the heat to medium to cook the veggies. It is easy to reduce the flame if you are using camping propane and preparing this as one of our awesome camp stove recipes.
If you are using a campfire or cooking with charcoal briquettes, just move some of the coals away from your Dutch oven to reduce the heat. Using a tripod? Just raise the chain to get the oven further away from the heat.
Now, sauté the mushrooms, onion and garlic till they are softened.
Step 6. Add the liquids and increase the heat. It is time to add the beef broth, soy sauce and mustard to the Dutch oven and stir. After all of these ingredients are incorporated, you’ll need to bring the liquid to a boil which will require placing the lid on your Dutch oven and increasing the heat to high.
Camp Cooking Tip: If you are cooking in windy conditions, you will probably need more heat than you think so be prepared with enough firewood, charcoal briquettes or propane canisters.
Step 7. Cook the pasta. Now that the liquid is boiling, you’ll add the pasta, stirring occasionally until the pasta is cooked to your desired tenderness.
Step 8. Return the meat to the Dutch oven. Now, place the meat back into the Dutch oven. Stir all of the ingredients together.
Step 9. Temper the sour cream. You don’t want curdled sour cream in your Dutch oven beef stroganoff camping dinner … so … you need to slowly warm up the sour cream before adding it to the hot food in your Dutch oven.
It is easy to temper the sour cream by adding small amounts
of the hot mixture to the cold sour cream … stirring the hot and cold food
together will gradually heat up the sour cream.
Step 10. Add the tempered sour cream to the Dutch oven. Remove the Dutch oven from the heat and slowly stir in the tempered sour cream until it is incorporated with the beef and pasta mixture.
Step 11. Garnish and serve. Top with parsley, if desired, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Similar Camp Dinners
Keep your camping dinner recipes fun, simple and delicious!
If you love comfort food, you’ll love this Dutch Oven Chicken Pot Pie. It is super easy because it only has an upper crust that is made simple for the campsite using refrigerated biscuits!
Our family loves making one pot camping meals, here is another dinner you really need to try. It only takes 5 minutes to prep and it is cooking … you’ll love this easy One Pot Spaghetti camping recipe!
Want more simple and yummy campfire recipes? We’ve got them!
Print This Dutch Oven Beef Stroganoff Camping Recipe
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pound flat iron steak, cut into thin strips against the grain
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz. package fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 32 oz carton beef broth + water if necessary (see note below)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 pound mostaccioli
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- Prepare your campfire or camp stove for cooking.
- Prep the veggies and slice the meat.
- Heat a 12-inch cast iron Dutch oven over the medium-high heat of a campfire or camp stove.
- Add the oil to the pot.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper then add it to the Dutch oven stirring to brown all sides.
- Remove the meat from the pot and set aside, covered to keep warm.
- Reduce the heat to medium and saute the mushrooms and onion a bit … then add the garlic and cook till softened.
- Now, add the beef broth, soy sauce and mustard to the Dutch oven and increase the heat to high, cover and bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Once the liquid is boiling, add the pasta, stirring occasionally until the pasta is cooked to your desired tenderness. The cooking time will probably take a little longer than package directions indicate. NOTE: If there is not enough liquid to finish cooking the pasta, add some water, as necessary. You just want enough liquid to cook the pasta … you don’t want to have to drain any liquid from the pot after the pasta is finished cooking.
- Add the meat back to the Dutch oven, stirring to mix all of the ingredients together.
- Temper the sour cream by adding small amounts of the hot mixture to it while stirring … you are slowly warming up the sour cream so when you add it to the Dutch oven, it does not curdle.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the heat and slowly stir in the sour cream until it is incorporated.
- Top with parsley, if desired, and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 525Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 117mgSodium: 1444mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 37g
More Yummy Camp Menu Ideas
Let this stroganoff be the first of many new recipes you add to your camp meal plans!