This is one of our favorite camping dessert recipes that combines fresh ingredients with pre-packaged ones making an out-of-this-world tasty end to your camping dinner!
You don’t have to bake anything to make this yummy Grilled Pound Cake With Berries Camping Dessert Recipe because it starts with a prepared pound cake.
Psst we’re compensated…see our disclosures.
- 1 Grilled Pound Cake With Berries Dessert For Camping
- 2 Cooking Methods
- 3 Step 1. Toast the nuts.
- 4 Step 2. Make the berry sauces.
- 5 Step 3. Make the frosting.
- 6 Step 4. Toast the pound cake.
- 7 Step 5. Assemble and enjoy.
- 8 Print This Grilled Pound Cake With Berries Camping Dessert Recipe
- 9 Ingredients
- 10 Instructions
- 11 Recommended Products
- 12 More Camping Food Ideas
Grilled Pound Cake With Berries Dessert For Camping
I love making fun camping desserts that are red, white and blue when we are camping on patriotic holidays.
You can use your fire and make this as one of our campfire recipes.
Or, you can make it as one of our camp stove recipes.
Whichever method you choose, for this recipe, you will be grilling pound cake (on a grill pan or griddle) as well as toasting nuts and cooking berries in small pans.
Step 1. Toast the nuts.
You bring out the flavor of nuts when you toast them.
Chop the walnuts, then you’ll be adding them to a dry pan to toast them over medium/high heat.
Camping Flexible Cutting Mats
Camp Cooking Tip: You will “smell” the doneness; watch the nuts closely because once they start toasting … they can burn quickly.
If you are doing this in advance, transfer the nuts to a sealable container and store them at room temperature until you are ready to use them.
Step 2. Make the berry sauces.
Now it is time to combine the berries with a bit of lemon juice, zest and sugar.
You’ll be cooking them down and mashing some of the berries to make a sauce.
If you are doing this in advance, transfer the berry mixtures to sealable containers and refrigerate them until you are ready to use them.
Step 3. Make the frosting.
Well, this is not really frosting … it is more of a cream cheese frosting like you use on carrot cakes but instead of cream cheese you will be combining powdered sugar with a mascarpone cheese.
Camp Cooking Tip: Let the mascarpone soften a bit and then mix in the powdered sugar. I just do this in the container for less dirty dishes … always a camper’s goal!
Transfer the mixture into a plastic re-sealable bag and let it sit out at room temperature if you are using it right away.
If you are making this in advance, refrigerate the mascarpone mixture until just before you are ready to use it … then bring it out to get room temperature for serving.
If the mascarpone mixture is not at room temperature, you won’t be able to pipe it through the bag.
Step 4. Toast the pound cake.
Now it is time to butter the pound cake and grill it over a pre-heated cast iron griddle or grill pan.
You are looking for a nice texture and flavor here.
The butter adds a homemade essence to this store-bought cake.
A golden-brown, crispy texture and a slightly warmed cake make this camping dessert taste like something you would get in a fancy restaurant!
Using prepared ingredients, like this pound cake, are the foundation of many easy camping meals.
Step 5. Assemble and enjoy.
Almost time to eat!
Place the pound cake on a plate, cut the corner off of your mascarpone’s plastic bag and pipe (squeeze out) the cheese mixture on your cake slices.
Then top with each of the berry mixtures and nuts.
Print This Grilled Pound Cake With Berries Camping Dessert Recipe
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 oz container fresh raspberries
- 6 oz container fresh blueberries
- 1 lemon, zest and juice of it (divided)
- About 4 tablespoons sugar (divided)
- 8 oz container of mascarpone cheese
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 packaged pound cake, sliced in 8 even slices
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- Add walnuts to small pan. Over medium/high heat, cook until nuts are toasted. You will “smell” the doneness; watch them closely because once they start toasting they can burn quickly.
- Add raspberries, half the lemon juice and zest and half the sugar to a medium sized pan. Cook over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved and berries are warmed through. While cooking use back of fork or potato masher to crush some of the berries to create a sauce, make sure to leave some berries whole. Set aside to cool.
- Repeat this process for the blueberries.
- Let the mascarpone soften a bit and then mix in the powdered sugar. Transfer to a re-sealable plastic bag. If you are doing this right before assembly, leave at room temperature so you can pipe it through the bag. If you are doing this in advance, refrigerate until you are ready to use it.
- Pre-heat cast iron grill pan or griddle to medium heat. You can use a campfire, camp stove or RV stove as your heat source for this.
- Butter both sides of each pound cake slice and grill on each side until nicely browned and toasted.
- For assembly, place 2 slices of pound cake on a plate. Then, cut corner off of plastic bag and squeeze cheese through the opening, spoon on some of each berry mixture and top with the toasted walnuts. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 594Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 433mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 5gSugar: 36gProtein: 6g
More Camping Food Ideas
Sweet treats are just the ending of awesome camping meals.